Musicians for the Sarjeant series was devised by classical singer and guitarist Deborah Wai Kapohe. Launched in January 2013 initially as a three-concert series – and kick started with a sell-out performance by Debbie – Musicians for the Sarjeant has gone from strength to strength over the intervening years.
The musicians taking part in the series perform for free and proceeds from the ticket sales go towards the Gallery’s Endowment Fund. “The series provides a great opportunity for musicians to support the Sarjeant Gallery’s redevelopment, and an affordable and enjoyable way for the public to get behind it, too,” says Debbie.
Musicians for the Sarjeant aims
• Create a way for musicians to support the Sarjeant Gallery Endowment Fund
• Encourage community support for the Sarjeant Gallery
• Promote the Thousand Stars fundraising programme
• Provide the community with affordable live classical music
• Provide concerts of a high standard
• Provide performance experience to Musicians, especially young people
• Raise money for the Gallery
Musicians for the Sarjeant is sponsored by River City Press.